Tariffs Mean Mexican Restaurants Forced To Charge For Chips And Salsa

Tariffs Mean Mexican Restaurants Forced To Charge For Chips And Salsa

This week President Trump announced that the United States would be imposing a 5% tariff on products coming in from Mexico until the illegal immigration problem is remedied. No one knows what that remedy will be, or when it will come. Neither is anyone sure how this tariff will impact US-Mexico relations.

But many Americans will start noticing the effects of the tariff by Friday night. Research shows that at least 92% of families in America eat at a Mexican restaurant every Friday night. (The other 8% are eating at Taco Bell and Taco Bueno.) One of the most enticing things about going to a Mexican eatery is the fact that they bring you a basket of chips along with a small bowl of salsa to enjoy while looking over the menu and with your meal. This is a complimentary appetizer.

“All that changes this week,” says Enrique Martinez, manager of Jalisco’s Mexican Restaurant I Bowling Green, KY. “A great ‘Amexican’ tradition is coming to an end. Due to the new tariffs, chips and salsa, which have always been free will now cost $49.50. We don’t want to do this. But the President has changed the game. It is strange, too. He said he love the Mexican people. He said we were tremendous. He said nobody loves burritos as much as he does. But this is where we are.”

Billy Joe Greene and his family were among the first to experience the paid chips and salsa dilemma. “I’l be honest. It ticked me off when the little Mexican guy asked me if I wanted chips and salsa. What kind of a question is that? We don’t come to Jalisco’s for the easy conversation. Of course we want the chips and salsa. Then he hit me with, ‘Well, señor, it is going to be $49.50 because of the new tariffs.’ I nearly blew my top on that one. But hey, I’m a Trump guy all the way. So I said, ‘Bring us the chips and salsa.’ If Mr. Trump thinks we should pay more, then we will gladly pay more. Besides, I can make some of the money back on the tip anyway. MAGA, bro!”

Chick-fil-A Will Also Be Closed On Saturdays To Honor The Sabbath Jesus Observed

Chick-fil-A Will Also Be Closed On Saturdays To Honor The Sabbath Jesus Observed

Man Who Gave Up Alcohol For Lent Arrested For Public Intoxication After Binging On Beer-Battered Fish Sandwiches

Man Who Gave Up Alcohol For Lent Arrested For Public Intoxication After Binging On Beer-Battered Fish Sandwiches